Marketo and ClickDimensions are both marketing automation tools that help companies handle dealing with things like lead management and email marketing. Marketo targets the mid to enterprise level businesses, while ClickDimensions is aimed at the large end of small businesses and medium sized businesses, primarily.
The first thing you should know if you are comparing the two is that ClickDimensions only works with Microsoft Dynamics. If Microsoft Dynamics is a deal breaker of a CRM for you, then ClickDimensions is off the table entirely.
If you do have Microsoft Dynamics, that doesn't necessarily mean you should go for ClickDimensions either. Marketo offers native integration with Microsoft Dynamics, as well as SAP and Salesforce. It's integration with Salesforce is considered top tier because it is built on the platform. Marketo also offers certified integration with Oracle, SugarCRM, and NetSuite.
ClickDimensions relatively small company size may make some uneasy, especially larger businesses, and midsize businesses hoping to scale may find ClickDimensions feature set and data transfer bottlenecks lacking.
ClickDimensions is much cheaper than Marketo's $1195, although certainly not priced for freelancers or especially small businesses, with a starting price of $375 per month. ClickDimensions is designed for businesses just big enough to need a CRM like Microsoft Dynamics, with sales personnel, who are not expecting massive growth in the near future, and who need marketing automation features, but are not planning on going full-tilt with marketing automation. ClickDimensions also offers some email marketing features that Marketo does not.
Advantages of Marketo:
- Marketo is trusted by a much larger number of websites, 41.9k compared to 3.1k. It is more popular in all market share segments, whether at the top or bottom of the pack, and regardless of industry.
- ClickDimensions is lacking an important visual element in its campaign management process, with no campaign diagram.
- ClickDimensions does not include any content management capabilities in terms of storing text and image content for use in later communications.
- ClickDimensions has several limitations in lead management:
- No progressive profiling (where users can add more information to their profiles when they fill out new forms)
- No automatic removal of profile duplicates
- No prospect routing, where leads are automatically sent to sales when they meet certain criteria
- No time-based degradation, which causes leads to lose priority as time passes with no activity from the prospect
- Marketo's email marketing tools include offer optimization, where ClickDimensions does not. This is where emails are optimized based specifically on prospect data.
- ClickDimensions has limited social media capabilities relative to Marketo. Limitations include:
- No referral offers included in the interface
- No ability to schedule and then track the results of social media posts, which also creates several missed opportunities for segmentation
- No social sign-on, making it more difficult for users to fill out forms
- No video sharing capabilities that allow prospects to share videos on your site and social media
- Marketo has a reporting edge on ClickDimensions with mobile alerts and revenue modeling.
- ClickDimensions does not allow you to set sync frequency between your CRM and marketing automation platform.
Advantages of ClickDimensions:
- ClickDimensions has a lower starting price point of $375 compared to Marketo's $1195.
- ClickDimensions offers various email marketing features not available in Marketo. These include blacklist monitoring, certified and dedicated IPs, opt-out management, RSS message generation, and spam analysis.
- ClickDimensions provides you with URL customization for web pages that you build with the platform.
- Campaign management features:
- Both feature a drag and drop interface that is fairly intuitive to use.
- Both allow you to schedule events in advance.
- Both provide the ability to host files for leads to download, to track lead interactions with those files, and use those insights to inform later marketing efforts.
- Both allow you to send SMS (text messages) to your customers or leads.
- While Marketo has a clear edge of ClickDimensions when it comes to lead management, both offer the most important lead management features:
- Lead scoring, allowing you to identify which leads are the most likely buyers. This is informed in part by behavioral scoring, which takes into account actions taken by the lead. Custom scoring is available on both platforms as well, allowing you to score leads based on custom criteria. Demographic scoring factors in age, gender, etc. if these are important factors. Finally, product-based scoring informs lead scores based on how often the lead has viewed a product.
- Trigger based actions, in addition to scoring, allow you to set up automated rules to take specific marketing actions in response to an action taken by the lead.
- Marketo and ClickDimensions share the following email marketing features:
- A/B tests to check which email version performs better.
- Automatic responsive design to ensure emails are legible everywhere.
- Delivery tracking ensures that emails made it to the inbox.
- Email previews, a WYSIWYG interface, email templates, HTML validation, image validation, and link validation ensure that your emails look professional and that there are no errors.
- Scheduled emails allow you to send out emails on a regular basis for thougth leadership and retention.
- Send emails automatically based on rules regarding a lead's behaviors, preferences, and events.
- Both tools offer these valuable web management features:
- A/B tests for landing pages to test which version of a the page is more effective.
- Landing page design interfaces and landing page templates
- Web form design interfaces and templates
- Social media:
- Facebook publishing.
- The ability to pull social profile data from the web after collecting more limited information about the lead.
- Social sharing widgets that allow leads to share your content on their feeds.